Thursday, December 8, 2011

Gabe's view (a skit for children's church)

Part One:




Person dressed in military stuff, carrying a sword. Brings angel costume along into the room.

G: Hi I’m Gabriel! My friends call me Gabe! I’m an angel.
I know I don’t look like those fancy angels that you see in all of the paintings that have been hanging around for hundreds of years, but trust me, most of the angels look like me, not some wimpy little angel in white, wearing wings. But listen, don’t be afraid, okay?

Since most of you are used to seeing that kind of angel, I did bring a costume along. Hold on a second. (Puts on white robe and attempts to put on the wings.) This wing thing isn’t as easy as it looks.

Okay, now where was I?

Oh yeah, my name is Gabe and I am the one who got to deliver the incredible news to Mary! Do you know what incredible news I’m talking about?

That’s right! The fact that she was going to be the mother of Jesus, the Savior of the world! Here’s how it went down:

I got my orders from God and buzzed right on into Galilee, to a small house in the town of Nazareth. From a distance, I saw Mary sitting peacefully next to her bed. I entered the room and hovered just a few feet from her nightstand. You should have seen the look of shock on her face when I started to speak.

I said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”

You could tell that Mary didn’t have any idea how to take these words. She looked confused and frightened. So I said what an angel always has to say when they visit someone:
“Do not be afraid”.

I told you! I am one scary dude when you aren’t expecting me!

Anyway, then I told her that she was going to be the mother of God’s own son and that her son was going to be the Savior of the world!”

I expected her to be blown away, asking me all kinds of questions. But she only asked me one… and she asked it as if she already believed that this was all going to happen to her. She said, "How is this going to happen? I’m not even married and I've never been with any man."

That’s when I explained to her that God was going to be the Father of this child, not Joseph. She accepted it all right away And responded with “I am the Lord’s servant, May your word to me be fulfilled.”

I was amazed at this girl’s faith and acceptance. It was awesome! (I had just had an experience with a man named Zacharias that wasn't nearly so positive!)

So with my job accomplished, I headed back to heaven, waiting for my next assignment.  I didn't have long to wait. Mary's fiancee Joe, needed to hear a Word from the Lord.

(to be continued)

No comments: