Friday, April 15, 2011

Mmmmmmm

I have heard so much about Martha and Mary recently that I just really don't want to write about them. Normally, I'd give it a try, but let's see if  can find a different "M".

Methusaleh is good... Melchizedek...Michael...  uh oh, I can feel my ADHD kicking in. I'm only half way through the alphabet and I'm beginning to be bored with my own writing! Not good.

Okay, back to the "M"s. Matthew! Also known as Levi. Writer of the book of Matthew... Tax collector turned disciple. (Appropriate for April 15th!) Took Jesus to his home, invited all of his tax collector friends to hear this great teacher... I'm not sure how the Pharisees came to be at the party, but they were there, making their presence known by their negative "Sinner hating" attitudes. They asked each other, "Why is he hanging around this scum? Doesn't he know what they are?"

Jesus put them straight. "Healthy people don't need a doctor, sick people do". then he added "Now go and learn the meaning of this scripture 'I want you to show mercy not offer sacrifices' for I have come to call not those who think they are righteous but those who know they are sinners."

Sometimes I think I act like a pharisee.
Sometimes I know that I'm "sick".

Lord, Help me to show mercy.  for showing it to me.


L

1 comment:

Sheila Siler said...

One of the things we've learned from Ivan's class is that the Pharisees were actually the "laity" who were just trying to follow Jehovah. So, yes - that's me. Matthew is a great M name.