Monday, April 23, 2012

U- Dear Uncle George,

I can never in a single letter say how much you and Aunt Cynthia have meant to our family. I mean if it weren't for you two, the five of us children  wouldn't even be here!

Mom and Dad met at the rehearsal dinner for your wedding. The story  is that my dad had a date for the evening but that after he met mom, he took the date home early and then came back to the party to hang out with her. what a great romantic beginning!  A year and a half later they were married. And as soon as we started being born, You became our Uncle George and Aunt Cynthia.

I have so many memories of our families together. Birthday parties, picnics at the swimming pool, puppies, puppies, and more puppies.

But I digress. There are some "just you and I" moments.

You taught me how to play chess. I love how you showed me how to move the pieces and immediately, we played. I think the most common phrase I heard during those first few games was "Are you sure you want to do that?" I'd take the piece back and try again... and again... and again.  I'll never forget the first time we had a stalemate. I was ecstatic. (I never did win a game though, did it?)

There were two pieces of advice that you gave me other the years that have done me more good than just about anything else anyone has ever told me. the first was when I got my first job as a teacher. You told me that a lot of people try to impress the principal and board members but that the most important people to be friendly toward were the school secretary and the janitor. these were the people that get things done.  You were absolutely right!

The second piece of advice was to to use two phrases to keep the peace. the first was "yes, dear" and the other was "really?" (when someone is complaining over and over and wanting you to get all riled up along with them)  Over the years, I saw you used these techniques over and over.  You were a great peacemaker!

Uncle George, I miss you.



L

No comments: