Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V- Dear Valentine,

I don't like your day very much. In fact, it is my second least favorite holiday on the whole calendar. It's not because I have had lots of your days with no beau... there have been very few of your special days that I have been alone. (And I actually enjoyed those!)
Here's the thing. It's too much pressure. Too much expectation. Even after being married for 22 1/2 years to the same man, I don't know what to get him. It can't be too expensive, cuz he's a gotta get a deal kind of guy. It can't be clothes because he picks out his own. It can't be candy, cuz he's trying to lose some weight...and I don't think he probably wants flowers...

When I was dating, it was almost like playing russian roulette. My gift to "him" (whoever "him" was at the time) had to be of the same emotional and monetary value of the one I was about to receive. Who needs that pressure?!

I think the elementary kids have the right idea: let's hand out a little "be my valentine" card with a lollipop attached and leave it at that.  If we could do that, Valentine, that would make me love you more.


L

No comments: